Law Offices of Leon J. Frommer
800-882-9832 Offices in Valencia and Los Angeles

Who We Are

Leon J. Frommer has been licensed to practice law in California since 1977. With over... READ MORE

Immigration Attorney Leon J. Frommer Answers your Questions

There are many questions surrounding immigration, and for good reason – it is an area of law, and life, full of specific rules and procedures that must be followed. Los Angeles Immigration lawyer Leon J. Frommer answers some of the most common questions here.

What is a temporary visa, and do I need one?

A temporary visa may be needed if you intend to visit the United States. There are different types of visas, depending on the purpose for your visit, including:

  • Business
  • Exchange visitors and students
  • Religious workers
  • Tourism

There are additional types of visa offered – contact our office to learn which visa you may need.

What is the Visa Waiver Program?

The Visa Waiver Program allows certain individuals to travel to the United States without a visa for business or tourism purposes, so long as the visit will be less than 90 days. Thirty-seven countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program, thereby allowing their nationals to travel under the program.

Can I change my status?

Yes. However, you must obtain the permission of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before your current authorized stay expires. Some individuals, however, do not need to change their status, depending upon many factors including what category they were admitted under.

There can be serious consequences for overstaying a visa or other authorized purpose, so it is important to seek the advice of an experienced immigration attorney.

How long does the United States Immigration process take?

The length of time depends on what status you are seeking. For example:

  • Asylum typically takes 180 days from the date of application
  • Petitions typically take six months
  • Naturalization cases generally take five months

These time frames, however, depend on the office handling your case, in addition to the volume of cases currently under review.

Are there any remedies available for a delay in processing my application or petition?

Yes. In some situations, a writ of mandamus may be filed against the USCIS. It is best to consult with a skilled immigration attorney if you believe you may have grounds to bring a writ of mandamus against the USCIS.

Do I qualify for naturalization?

Foreign citizens who meet certain requirements may be grated United States citizenship through the process of naturalization. There are several ways in which naturalization may be obtained, including:

  • You are a permanent resident for at least five years
  • You or a family member satisfy the requirements of military service
  • You are a permanent resident for at least three years and are the spouse of a United States citizen

To find out other ways in which you may qualify for naturalization or acquired or derived citizenship, please contact our office.

Contact Us

There are many questions that surround immigration law. If you do not see the answer to your questions above, please schedule an appointment to meet with Mr. Frommer, where he can learn about your case and answer all the questions you may have.

Share This Page: