Law Offices of Leon J. Frommer
800-882-9832 Offices in Valencia and Los Angeles

Who We Are

Leon J. Frommer has been licensed to practice law in California since 1977. With over... READ MORE

Immigration Newsletter

  • Extension of Non-Immigrant Status
    A non-immigrant is a foreign national who enters the United States temporarily for a particular purpose. Non-immigrants are allowed to enter the U.S. for a specified period of time, and during their stay, they are prohibited from... Read more.
  • Student Visas
    The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) regulates entry into the U.S. Those who wish to visit the U.S. temporarily, for business, study, or pleasure, may apply for one of a number of “visas.” The INA sets forth the... Read more.
  • Estate Planning for Non-Citizen Spouses
    A QDOT is a specific type of marital deduction trust that is designed to ensure that non-citizen spouses will eventually pay any taxes that may be due upon distribution of the principal from the trust, even if the surviving spouse... Read more.
  • Permanent Labor Certification and the PERM System
    One avenue that allows an employer to hire a foreign worker to work permanently in the U.S. entails a “permanent labor certification” through the Federal Department of Labor (DOL). Before the employer can submit a petition... Read more.
Immigration News Links

Electronic Filing at the BCIS

The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) recently began accepting Employment Authorization Document applications and Green Card Replacement applications electronically. Now, with the option of filing certain immigration applications online, applicants can avoid long waits on the phone and at local offices. In addition to expediting the application process, the technology involved with the new system will also allow the BCIS to verify the identity of individuals in the future.

Submitting Immigration Applications Electronically

At the end of the application process, an applicant pays required fees online using a U.S. savings or checking account. After a receipt is generated from this e-transaction, an applicant must make an appointment at an Application Support Center (ASC) to provide fingerprints, photographs and signatures. The ASC will then transmit the applicant’s information to the BCIS electronically, and the BCIS will use the electronic photographs, fingerprints and signatures to produce either the Employment Authorization Document or Permanent Resident Card.

Presently, supporting documents must still be submitted by mail. However, the BCIS anticipates that applicants will also be able to submit supporting documents electronically in the near future.

The Future of E-Filing

The BCIS is currently working on making the electronic filing of six other forms available:

  • Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker
  • Application for Travel Document
  • Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker
  • Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status
  • Application for Temporary Protected Status
  • Request for Premium Processing

Applicants who have a receipt number for an e-filed application can also check the status of a pending case online.

Share This Page: